Monday 6 April 2015

Sisterhood of the World Blogger Award

This is a different kind of post today as I'm responding to 2 nominations that I have received for 'Sisterhood of the World' Blogger Award. Being nominated for things like this is so lovely as it really brings together the community part of blogging, one thing that I never expected when I started!

Right, lets get on...


I would like to say thank you to the 2 lovely girls who nominated me. Firstly there is Jessica from The Birds and Butterflies and secondly there is Sarah from Cakey Dreamer. Go and check out their lovely blogs!

The rules:


  • Link and thank the blogger who has nominated you - Share the Love!
  • Answer the 10 questions created for you
  • Create 10 questions for your nominees
  • Nominate 10 sister bloggers for the award


Seeing as 2 girls have nominated me, I have 20 questions to answer!

Jessica's questions are:

1. What is your favourite thing about blogging?

I've got to say it is the online community aspect, although I feel that blogging about weight loss is quite a small niche on the internet (fashion and beauty being the main areas that girls tend to blog about) I still feel part of the blogging world as I'm making online friends with fellow bloggers, sharing tips and tricks on how to improve my blog layout, taking better pictures etc. I would love to attend a blog meet someday and meet some of my blogging idols!

2. Where is one place you want to visit and why?

It's hard to just pick one place as there are loads of places that I would like to visit (and places that I've already been to and I would like to revisit as well!). But I'd have to be a typical tourist and say New York. It has a mixture of lots of things that I would want to incorporate on a holiday; culture, history, shopping, sight seeing and fabulous restaurants. I booked to go to New York back in 2005 but unfortunately I lost a close family member a few days before I was due to fly out and I had to cancel my holiday. I hope that one day I will go though.

3. What is your favourite book?

I used to be such a bookworm when I was a kid, always curled up with my nose in something written by Enid Blyton, Ronald Dahl or Judy Blume. But as I left college and got into full time shift work, books became less and less a part of my life. I would have to say that my favourite book on my shelves for sentimental value is 'Elephant Song' by Wilbur Smith. My granddad lent this to me to read when he was still with us years ago and when we were going through his things after he passed away, I asked if I could keep it as I enjoyed reading it and it reminded me of him.

4. What is the biggest thing you've learnt from blogging?

This is quite a hard question as I've learnt a little from blogging in terms of the technical side but I would say the biggest thing I've learnt is about being kind to others and 'sharing the love' so to speak. Taking the time to leave a comment on someone's post to say how much I've enjoyed reading it, tweeting someone to say 'well done' on their weight loss or retweeting someone's latest blog post can really put a smile on someone's face (well it does mine!). It only takes a few seconds to do those things but knowing that people enjoy what you write is great or giving a friend more exposure to their blog is a kind thing to do for someone.

5. What made you start blogging?

I started my weight loss journey before I started my blog but I found someone's blog via Twitter and she talked about her weight loss journey with Juice Plus. Now I'm no advocate for Juice Plus but it got me thinking about my weight loss journey and how maybe I should start a blog and share my experiences on losing weight with eating clean and exercise. I was hoping that having a blog would keep me accountable for my actions and stop me from giving up as I've tried to lose weight so many times I've lost count! So in November 'Just Ems' was born and I haven't looked back.

6. Is there a word or phrase that you use too much, if so what is it?

Hmmmm... I don't think I have a certain word or phrase but I definitely swear too much! I know that most people don't like girls to swear (my PT recently told me that I have the worst potty mouth out of his clients, oops!) but I tend to swear when I'm expressing emotion; happiness, anger, stress and frustration being the main ones! I don't swear on purpose to be crude or unladylike, it just tends to slip out before I realise. Now my niece is getting older, I do try and cut back on my swearing!

7. What do you like to do that helps you de-stress?

Before I started losing weight, I used to use food and alcohol a lot to de-stress (mainly chocolate when I was at work, not alcohol!) but now I don't really have a set routine or thing that I do to de-stress. I find that the gym does help me vent any frustrations that I have so by the time I've been to the gym and driven home I'm pretty chilled out, sweaty and tired! I'm not really a bath kind of person, the hot water pressure in my house is poor so the bath takes forever to fill! I'm pretty easy to de-stress, laying on the sofa, catching up on social media or watching TV or driving in my car with my tunes on loud usually works!

8. What is your dream job?

Another hard question! Right now, I don't really have a 'dream job' in mind. But I'd love to do something that I'm passionate about and get paid enough money to enjoy life. I would love to blog for a living but I'm not sure if I would get bored working from home? 

9. Your house is burning down and you can only grab 3 things, what would you get? (Your family and everyone is safe)

It would have to be my phone as I'm one of those annoying people who don't back up my pictures onto my laptop! The keys to my car (I saved up and bought my car outright, its my only asset!) and my family photo albums as pictures are irreplaceable, 99% of my other belongings could be replaced.

10. Name one thing that makes you happy

I would have to say my niece, although she's not really a 'thing'. I love spending time with my family and my niece (as corny as it sounds) just lights up my world. She has such a cheeky personality and knows how to wrap people (mainly me!) around her little finger. I love her to pieces and would do anything for her. Being with her makes me happy :)

Sarah's questions are:

1. What is your favourite cake or baked good?

Well I'm quite partial to a muffin! When 'off plan' I'll usually have one with my coffee when I go to Starbucks. Although I tend to love most cakes, especially anything with toffee or caramel in it! Mmmmm cake...

2. What is the best thing you've ever baked?

I've got to say my strawberry cake! I do love to bake but I find that I rarely have the time to. Plus with losing weight, if I bake it there's the temptation of eating it! I'm more of a rustic baker than a cake decorator as I don't have the patience for decorating and I have zero artistic talent so I stick to cakes that don't require much decorating! I've made this cake for some birthdays in the past, its a simple vanilla sponge with whipped cream and strawberry puree in the middle and whipped cream and sliced strawberries on the top. Best eaten on the same day it is made for freshness!


3. What is your favourite Disney film?

I've gota say that its Frozen as my niece loves it and it's one of the rare stories that features love between 2 sisters that conquers all. Plus Elsa completely proves that being free and single totally kicks ass. Although I'm sure having magical powers would be pretty awesome IRL!

4. What is your most embarrassing experience?

Too embarrassing to mention!

5. If you could learn to do ANYTHING, what would you learn to do?

How to become a millionaire! I'm not one to say that money equals happiness but it definitely helps. If I was able to give up work then I would do volunteer work for a charity.
Other things would be:

*Learn how to fly a hot air balloon
*Learn another language 
*Learn photography
*Learn how to walk in heels properly!

6. Do you speak any other language other than English?

I can speak alittle German. I learnt French and German at Secondary School and at college I went on to learn Japanese and Spanish but German was the language that stuck with me the most. I could probably hold a basic conversation in German, I hope!

7. What's your favourite TV programme?

I'm not really a TV buff but I do like Big Bang Theory, Sheldon is awesome!

8. What's your dream surprise?

To be whisked away to somewhere exotic like Maritius or Bali and proposed to by the person who I would want to spend the rest of my life with

9. What made you start blogging?

See above to Jessica's answer to question 5 :)

10. What are your plans for Summer 2015?

Main priority for me this year is to lose weight but I also want to spend more time outside with my family this summer. I want to make sure my garden is nice and safe for my niece to play in and I would love to get a full size trampoline (something I need to research in terms of cost!). I want to host a BBQ/house party of some sort for friends and family as well. Plus my nephew is due in a couple of weeks so want to spend as much time with him as possible too. Would love to go away for a holiday but funds this year don't really allow me to but I aim to have a short break somewhere, maybe Cornwall as I love being by the sea.

The blogs that I nominate are:

Uniquely Filipa
Kimberley's Beauty Blog
Ohh So Glam
Blonde Ambition
All That Shimmers
Pam's Stuff and Things
Dyemonds and Dishes
Zoe's Secret Style
Writing Essays with Wine
A South Wales Blog

My questions are:

1. Do you have any blogging goals for 2015?
2. What is your biggest regret in life?
3. What's your favourite colour and why?
4. What are you most looking forward to this year?
5. What's your favourite chocolate bar?
6. Is there anything you're scared of (spiders, heights, snakes etc)?
7. What's your signature dish to cook for friends/family?
8. If you could spend time with someone who is no longer in your life, who would it be?
9. What do you love about blogging?
10. What is your top tip for newbie bloggers?

I hope you enjoyed reading this post and I look forward to reading my nominee's answers!


Until next time

Much Love


Just Ems

Start Date: 7th October 2014
Start Weight: 15 stone 8lbs
Current Weight: 12  Stone 11 lbs
Total Weight Lost: 39lbs
Height 5'2







2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the nomination. I do love a good tag and will let you know when I have done it :) xx

    Pams Stuff and Things

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey =) Thank you for the nomination. I've already prepared a post about it: http://uniquelyfilipa.blogspot.pt/2015/04/sisterhood-of-world-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete